.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pots, my trusty mate, the dog & my inspirational beach






Big week bisque/glaze and I feel like a potter again.   The kiln worked well but climbed a little too high in the soak so where there should have been some light there was a darker outcome.    The next day with another look I wasn't as critical but I will be a bit more diligent next time.  I have been throwing slabs on the floor adding Weipa Kaolin and bauxite to texture the clay.  I even brought home a little of the beach kaolin you can see in the photo to crush and add.   I must use it as a glaze.  I am drawn to Stefan Schwarz and his constant use and tests with his local raw materials.  Beautiful glazes.  There is so much I want to do with what is around me here and now I have no excuses as time is my own.  The beach I walk is full of so much I could use.  Every year after the fires go through I promise myself I will go down and bring back ash from the grasses and trees that fall but still have not done it.  Now its green and the rain has washed all the ash away so I wait again for the dry and its predictable fires and this year I will head down bucket in hand and fill it!   I am slowly getting the feel for clay again, its been a long time since I have been able to completely focus on that wonderful muddy medium.








5 comments:

Peter said...

I saw the little thumbnail photo of the copper red bowl greeting me from the side bar of my blog this morning. What a lovely bowl it is, and what a joy to see a kiln load of your pots and to think of you walking the beach and gathering materials. Very best wishes from this wild and wintry stretch of coastal Otago, where the neighbours gum trees are currently swaying like enormous black sailed pirate ships, and the willows are almost stripped bare of their autumn golden glory!

mudheartpottery said...

Yes I forget Winter is edging its way everywhere else apart from Weipa! I have been very quiet of late and still feel a little reclusive but being back in the clay seems to be forcing me out of my shell. I have been watching and enjoying your beautiful crytal glazes with their unique patterning. It seems like a lot of hard work but those results are amazing and with your ocean backdrop - perfect!

Let's see if I can be a bit more proactive with my blogging.....enjoy your light breezes!!!

Ivan R.B. said...

I'm so impressed ! It's good that you're doing this again.

Alia Bhat said...

If you’ve been curious about how to make pottery, but you’re not sure on how to do it because you have only seen it done in the studio, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this, we’ll provide you with the information on how to make pottery at home: the complete guide, and you’ll be amazed at how simple, yet effective it is for you to do, and there is a lot that you can get out of this.
If you’ve been curious about how to make pottery, but you’re not sure on how to do it because you have only seen it done in the studio, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this, we’ll provide you with the information on how to make pottery at home: the complete guide, and you’ll be amazed at how simple, yet effective it is for you to do, and there is a lot that you can get out of this.
You can make pottery at home quite easily and readily, and here, we’ll tell you just how it’s done.
To know more about pottery

Anonymous said...

Good to know about your pottery journey.Now one is perfect,life phase is full of learning.So please keep on learning and practicing.You can visit ,they have large varieties of poeerty,decorative and gifting items