.

Friday, October 30, 2009

No work, new slab

I have been very quiet on the blogging front - life's little complexities have meant the clay has had to take a back seat. Still I am finally getting a bigger slab in readiness for a new shed - the latter coming next year when middle son returns from his overseas jaunts. Hopefully cyclones stay away as my poor old shed is just holding together and a big blow might see it sail off across the ocean!

The dogs have loved this dust bowl to play in and are not happy with the meshing restricting access. Monday sees the pour so it will be interesting to keep two dogs from laying their marks across their favourite area.

Next week I will be glazing - famous last words - but I am hopeful I can spend some time throwing some colour around for some patient customers. Family always comes first so I will happily give time up for them, so we shall see what happens - even the clay can't match that passion.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Lyn,
It is good to see another post from you, I was just starting to wonder if I could send an Email to you to see if all was OK up your way. Only talking about you this morning as we have nice new neighbours who used to live about 8 hours drive from where you are, and they were saying what a beautiful part of the world it is there.

I recently did another firing of my wood fired kiln and, inspired by your lovely work, I got a bit more adventurous with a couple of the tea pots that I glazed. One had speckles of local basalt bleeding through a dolomite matt glaze, and the other had local schist, basalt, and even some of my earthenware throwing water applied to it. I was pleased with both of them. Had some good shino glazes and copper red glazes in that firing, which got above cone 12 in the hotter parts of the kiln.

Hope that things improve for you and your family and that you are able to get your hands in the clay again soon. You are right though, family is the most important thing.

Kind Thoughts and Best Wishes to you

mudheartpottery said...

Hi Peter
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Although I haven't been blogging I still do the rounds to see what everyone is up to, but I haven't felt like putting words down. My 'Nona' used to say whatever happens to us only happens to the living so we must still think we are lucky. Being a supportive parent is a great job even when things are tough so all involved will be better for the experiences in the end. I am sure I will be back amongst the clay next week.
I did admire your latest firing - I want to get into some teapots so you have inspired me as well.
Thanks

Peter said...

Hi Lyn,
Thinking of you and your lovely pottery and thought I'd send best wishes for 2010.
Hope things go well for you.
Peter, Laura, and Ginger the cat